Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Rough seas = End of Days?


Ok, it wasn’t that bad.  Drama drama drama.  We did, however, have another medical emergency around noon.  I think both cases were falls, and actually, I’m surprised there haven’t been more.  The thing is that it can come from different directions.  You think it’s stable but then the ship will list and pitch at the same time, a bit of a corkscrew effect.  The waves are all caused by the wind which has actually been over 30 knots most of the day.  The scenery it creates is stunning.  Quite lucky to have it sunny to enjoy it.  I had seen videos on youtube of rough seas but you just can’t appreciate it until you are right in it, feeling how much power nature has over a 35,000 tonne ship.  Because of all the waves and mist, there is a coating of salt on everything, even up to the railing in my cabin on the 6th deck

This afternoon there was a talk about Rouen with a primary focus to sell the cruise tours.  It took place in the caberet lounge, right at the front of the ship.  t he ship was really moving but, again, seemed manageable until there was a huge shift, and several trays of glasses went flying from the bar and crashed to the floor.  Throughout the ship they have been very careful putting things away, even bar stools because they were all falling over.  They even tied the large coffee thermoses to the cabinets they were on so why there were that many glasses in a location where they could fall I don’t know.  Many of the crew have said this is the roughest they have felt it but they remind me that it happens frequently on the Atlantic.  Well I now have that experience under my belt. 
Back to the talk about Rouen though, apparently there is an open air market Saturday morning.  The line will run shuttles to the Cathedral, right near the market.  So I might start the day there … I still have a car booked but will see how everything goes before deciding where to go that day.  What I did learn though, is that the shuttles take me to a part of town, completely opposite of the Avis location I had booked.  Good thing I checked as there is another Avis location at the Rouen train station, much closer to the part of town we will be going.  I moved the rental, costing be around $6 worth of internet time!  ($%&$%&!!@)
I found a few places where the movement wasn’t as bad and was able to read a bit more:  on now to book three.  The seas have moderated quite a bit, but they still surprise you with a huge shift that you didn’t expect.  One poor fellow at dinner actually crashed into the liqueur cart spilling many glasses, again just due to the unexpected movement.  I’m hoping we are back to more normal tomorrow.
I met Wayne and Joanne again before dinner in the lounge.  He was the retired Colonel from the US Army I went for dinner with a few nights ago.  We chatted for a while before we went to dinner and joined a table for 6.  All Americans but me and it was fun.  Food, as always, was great, including a mushroom risotto as an appetizer and an avocado watermelo, soup.  The wine tonight was a shiraz from Aus which I would never buy but ended up being fine.  Something to be said for wine that’s included.  Tonight I’m writing the daily wrap up outside from my verandah with a single light on the horizon.  In fact it looks very close.  It must be a sign that we are close to land with ships passing much more closely.  Our closest land is now port of Vigo in Spain.  Soon we should be heading north to get into the English channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment