Sunday, April 22, 2012

Changing weather


As I mentioned in the last post, the weather started very grey, but it’s been changing by the hour.  I sat out and finished my first book.  The spot I chose this time was on what is close to a promenade deck as they have on this ship.  It doesn’t go all the way around the ship, it’s really just the two sides.  But they have some deck chairs out with blankets to keep you warm.  Today you don’t really need the blankets as it’s 19 degrees out.  Anyway, I gave it a try on the starboard side which is where the sun would be if it came out.  But there was a mist from the sea, I think likely from the fairly large waves the ship is making as it lurches forward and pitches up and down in the swells.  That along with the strong wind was getting everything wet.  So I went to the other side and found it to be dry.  This deck is quite nice to take in the sea, especially as it starts to generate more and more whitecaps.  It’s definitely getting interesting as I sit there, some large splashes as the ship hits the water in a swell, the Captain refers to it as “slight to moderate” seas.  From this vantage point, you feel quite close to the water and are able to appreciate its force.  I don’t want it to get rougher but it is very impressive to see and feel the waves.  The Captain was somewhat evasive today in terms of the rough weather that’s up ahead.  He said he still considers it a long range forecast but it has improved slightly.  
I have to say that I’m feeling good so far.  I think it’s a combination of taking Avomine everynight since New York plus having my stateroom in the middle of the ship.  You feel the motion the most in the front of the ship and it’s greatly reduced in my room.  I actually like the motion that exists…maybe getting my sea legs?  We are currently still travelling at 18 knots and have about another 2300 miles to go.
Oh and the book I finished?  The Hunger Games.  Didn’t like the whole pretext of it.  I guess that’s the point to draw us in to the follow on books but doubt I will read them.  It
I joined a texas hold-em tournament but any luck I had, ended after the first night.  There were only 4 of us there but I was the first to exit.  I went for an espresso instead.
Tonight the entertainment is a magician/comedian.  Can’t say the entertainment has done that much for me yet.  The jazz band is ok, and they played again during the brunch.
Glad to see my Ottawa Senators are doing well and my hockey pool pick of the Ottawa goalies contributed some points for me!  I’m holding hope that they will still be playing when I’m back in Canada.    I logged on last night after dinner to check the score.  We don’t get Canadian TV though there is MSNBC, CNN and Fox from the US and Sky and BBC from the Uk.  What’s nice though is that each day we get a little 4 page printout of the news and sports from our country.  So I could have waited and read about the hockey there in “The Canadian.”  Interesting they also highlight the weather in Ottawa.  Could they actually print out a version for each guest?


Finally congratulations to Sandra who sent me an email saying she ran a 5km run in sub 25 mins!  Fantastic time but not surprising given her determination!

1 comment:

  1. Love the posts Rob. Sounds like you are having a great time! Super great to hear Sandra's time. It is freezing here so all her training combined with determination to get warm earned her third place! Enjoy the sun and relaxation. We are expecting five cm of snow tomorrow.
    Best, Marisia and Doug.

    ReplyDelete