Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Rock and Roll - The Storm Begins


Well it started overnight with some major motion in all directions.  This morning it’s sunny and if it wasn’t moving so much it would be beautiful with huge waves and swells forming around the ship.  Here is a quick photo from my cabin.  It doesn’t come close to doing it justice.  I’m recharging the video camera: this has to be captured to appreciate it.  

As I mentioned on an earlier post, mid ship is supposed to be best.  My cabin is close and it’s definitely better than the front and rear.  I was actually a bit hungry so took a shower (that was interesting), went and had some toast and coffee in the Windows restaurant in the back.  It was really rolling.  Just before I went up they had called a “starcode” for the crew in the restaurant which apparently means a medical emergency.  I heard somebody fell and might have broken something.  People there said at one point a whole bunch of people fell.  Didn’t stop them from eating though, the restaurant was surprisingly busy! And the one older man that I had seen running every day, was up on the top running track doing his laps.  He really has to be nuts, the way it’s moving and the strong gale force winds, he’s lucky if he doesn’t go overboard.
The Captain usually updates at noon, but he just came on at 10:15 to give an update.  He said the winds were up to 40 knots at night and are now down to 25 or so.  The forecast is for the winds to moderate by midnight but there could still be swells after that.  He also asked people to not go on the running track due to the winds and the motion.  He says “it’s all perfectly manageable”, isn’t that good to know!
Should be an interesting day.  In the meantime, this update is brought to you by the good people who make “Avomine” for without it, I’m sure I’d be lying in bed moaning!  It’s really too bad you can’t buy it Canada.  Talk to your UK friends if you are ever going on a cruise!

No comments:

Post a Comment