Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday evening update


It was a nice day, despite everyone being a bit bitter about losing the day in Rouen.  Sun was out for most of the day and it got interesting as we got to see many ships, especially as we got closer to the channel.  We saw two cruise ships going west, one was very large and one smaller.  I think the larger one was Costa and the smaller was the Olsen line.  Mainly saw tankers but as we got closer to land, smaller fishing ships showed up.  This, I’m quite sure from my frequent watching of "Mighty Ships", is from the line that carries cars over from BMW.

Around 4 or 430 it started to get a bit cloudy so I looked at the jogging track: empty.  Quick change, back up there and isn’t there 4 people on it, including those that I know are going to be on there for a while: “chicken woman” and “texas couple”.  Chicken woman is out there frequently in her “workout” clothes but walks many many laps without swinging her arms.  She just sticks her elbows out like she’s doing the chicken dance.  Texas couple, I named them because she wears her parka and ear muffs while he wears his touque.  I’m wearing shorts, it’s not that cold.  I have no idea if they are from Texas but it reminded me of the time golfing with my buddies in Myrtle Beach and we were wearing shorts when this golf cart pulled up with a woman wearing a parka and the world’s largest mitts.  Yes, she was from Texas. Anyway, I try to jog a bit but these people keep getting in the way and slowing me down.  Finally, the rain starts so everyone leaves.  It’s then when I start jogging and have no reason to stop and realize the effect of that this trip has had.  I’m completely out of breath doing just a slow jog.  Next week the diet and exercise need to kick in.
I was starting to get tired of the dining experience but tonight they had a Pomodoro Risotto that was fantastic.  Again, washed down by the complimentary wine and things were again looking up.  It was around the dessert course when I realized that for the first time in maybe 8 days, the ship wasn’t pitching, it wasn’t rolling, it was just easing its way through calm seas.  What a nice change.  The sun was setting so I quickly excused myself to go and try to catch some photos.  (Besides one of my dining companions was asleep…I kid you not, he had his hands in both hands and was out like a light after his main course).
I went up on to the top deck and met a man from Austria who loved the trip.  I chatted with him for a while, what a nice man.  The sunset didn’t really materialize due to the clouds but it was so nice to have the calm seas at last. That’s him with the cane walking away on the jogging track.

Good night from the English Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment