Wednesday, April 18, 2012

And I'm Off


Currently in transit flying to New York on Wednesday morning.  It's interesting how much more relaxed I feel when it's travel for vacation instead of work.  Also helps to check bags....I keep feeling like I forgot something though!

Something that Azamara does more than other cruise lines: overnight stays in port.  At first I thought it was a little strange to start with a night in New York but as I started to plan, the more I liked it, especially in a city like New York.  Most cruise ships come in to port early in the morning, disembark all passengers, clean the rooms, and then let the new passengers board.  It means they will board all passengers in 3 or 4 hours.  While last year boarding 2500 people on QM2 was very well organized and low stress, especially compared to air travel, on this trip, I can board any time after noon today.  So a smaller ship, with people arriving throughout the day, it should be a very easy process.

But, of course, the real beauty of this is that I get a little more than 24 hours in New York, without having to come early and get a hotel room.  There are a few things I have planned.  Weather permitting (and so far it looks good) I am looking forward to a run along the Hudson River.  There is a parkway around most of Manhattan and I should be steps from it from the ship.  Tonight I have tickets to the Bluenote jazz club, Jim Hall quartet is playing.  I can't say I understand jazz but definitely enjoy it and what better way to take it in than at a club in Greenwich Village.



Tomorrow I have some options ranging from one of the art museums or maybe the Intrepid aircraft museum, next door to the ship. I think it may be a game time decision!


1 comment:

  1. Have fun Rob - the run sounds great! If it was me I would on a bus to Woodbury outlets, but your choice is far healthier.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete