Sunday, May 11, 2014

Update 2

Day 2

Saturday was probably the roughest seas I have ever experienced.  The captain called them "quite rough" and the wind was force 8.  I think that is close to 100 Km/hr.  Plus when you are traveling directly into the wind, it feels much stronger.  Many decks were closed, and the promenade, while open, was a challenge.  I took some video I can share later.  My mid afternoon the ship was moving quite a bit but I can now say that this ship really does sail through it like no other that I have been on.   (Even though there was as the odd shutter as it pitched forward in a large swell!) Any other ship would have been having a great deal of trouble with it but not this one.  The captain didn't alter course, we just went exactly  where he wanted to go.  It was sunny most of the day which made it very beautiful, even thrilling at times.

It was also very cold as a result of the wind. Good Canadian winter wear would have been perfect.

Luckily I did take the miracle drug avomine last night in anticipation so I was able to enjoy it.  I did not, however, run outside, or get much exercise for that matter.  Walking was difficult outside and withe the gym in the front of the ship, there is no way I could have used the treadmill without needing a trip to the medical centre shortly after.  I will need to find a way to exercise tomorrow.  By dinner time the waves had subsided slightly but there were still "heavy swells".  The captain said it should last through most of Sunday.

But it was a great day overall and I did two things I did not do last time on board.

1. i saw the bridge.  There is a viewing area that I did not know about before.  It is interesting and boring at the same time.  It is a big area with lots of panels, computer screens and a great view forward.  But nothing happens as the people there are really "on the watch."

2. I experienced afternoon tea.  It is quite the spectacle with tea served in the ballroom by white gloved wait staff and lots of accompanying food including scones and clotted cream and those great sandwiches with the crusts cut off!


I had dinner I the main dining room tonight.  I am at a table of 8 though only 7 were there tonight.  It's a good mix of people from the uk, US and the lone Canadian.
I think it will be a good group.  And the table has a nice view by the window, where on a couple of occasions, the wave actually came up and covered it!

Food was really good today, even better than I remembered it.  I had four courses for dinner including a mushroom puff pastry with balsamic reduction.  But all courses were done really well.  I nice bottle of Bordeaux also helped.

Sunday

Happy Mother's Day to my Mom, and to my sister Cathy who is also celebrating a birthday.  Best wishes to you both from the high seas of the North Atlantic!

We set the clocks back an hour for the second time last night but I still slept until 9.  I do love the 25 hour days.  I opened my curtain to reveal sun and similar seas.

A couple lectures today including one about two famous Cunard ships , the Lusitania and Mauritania.

All for now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Birthday wishes. Here's to smoot seas ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your blog and happy to read there were rough seas. A friend of ours is on board for this sailing and I know he would be thrilled with all the wave action.
    Best wishes,
    Seasidegal

    ReplyDelete