Saturday, May 10, 2014

Update 1

Friday

I did get up at 4:50 and walked to mayflower park.  I got there as Queen Elizabeth turned and docked. Queen Victoria came in shortly after. Finally QM2 arrived, led by a tug boat water canon salute.  The only problem was that it was all around the berth for Qm2, not the Mayflower Park as they had said. So my views were from a distance. The helicopters got a much better view and Cunard quickly posted a great video.


I walked back to the hotel and had a couple hours more sleep, got up and had breakfast. This day was quite, nice so I went for a jog through the Southampton parks.  It wasn't long but enough to wake me up again.

After a shower I went walking to the shopping centre and then the maritime museum.  It is nice but largely focused on titanic.  I found it more depressing than I expected as it was very personal to Southampton, showing how the disaster impacted the community.  I guess it had the proper effect on me.  I never expected it to be a nice, cheery display, but this really shows the deep impact it had.

I had lunch at a nice Italian spot on Oxford st., walked back and got a taxi to the terminal.  Thinking I was late enough to avoid the crowds, I was wrong .  Perhaps it was due to prince Phillip being there for lunch, but the terminal was full.  Still, it was very civilized and I read magazines while I waited for "green W" to be called, about an hour later.  I boarded and my luggage had been delivered.  I cracked the Pol Acker champagne and unpacked.  I then walked around the ship and it looks great.  It  could be the refit they did two years ago or just because of event, but it does look good.

I booked dinner at Todd English so that I could the fireworks at 10pm.  Not much choice for vegetarians but a salad and mushroom flatbread was plenty, and very good.

At 930 pm we pulled back into a spot behind the two other Cunard ships to get ready for the fireworks.  It was very cold and I never did get gloves yesterday.  I could have used a parka and torque though!  At 10 I had a great spot lined up on deck 8 at the rear of the ship near the terrace pool.  Only problem, when the fireworks started, I could only hear them as they were being launched from in front of the ship!  Two events in one day I was in the wrong position for!  Along with a multitude of others climbed the stairs to deck 12 and from there got a nice view of an impressive display.  It lasted 10 minutes with symphonic music playing. It was quite a scene.

I listened to I the jazz trio in the chart room and called it a night.

Saturday

I slept well and woke not feeling much movement even though the captain said we would have moderate seas.  I looked out and there were lots of  white caps so it is very windy.  The room I have on deck five midship definitely negates any movement.   We are still in the English Channel due to our late departure. There is a mix of sun and cloud and 13 degrees. It is quite beautiful when the sun is out, quite a view having breakfast .


Not too much on the agenda that interests me. Will probably find a spot to watch the sea and read.  All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment