Saturday, May 3, 2014

Birthday plans

Cunard finally unvieled their birthday plans for Queen Mary 2 via their facebook page this week.  It starts early that day as the 3 Cunard ships sail in to Southampton together.  They post the times so that the locals can catch a glimpse of this ship parade.  Those in Ryde will see the ships sail past at 3:30 am while those of us who will be in Southampton will be able to sleep in a little bit later.  The sailby happens around 530 am.  Not sure if I will be up to see this or not.  I think I will set the alarm and if the weather is good I might grab the camera and take the short walk from my hotel to the Mayflower Park.  I think it will be interesting to see how many people show up for this.  With the maritime heritage of Southampton, I think there could be a large turnout.

If people don't get up early, I am quite sure there will be a large turnout for the evening's events which will include bands, fireworks and sailbys from the 3 Cunard ships.  To have fireworks means that we will be sailing later than the usual 5 pm.  The plans say fireworks at 10 and then sail out of the harbour shortly after.  Given that my dining time is the late 8:30 pm sitting, I have decided to have dinner earlier in the Todd English Restaurant.  I didn't try it last time on board so it is a good excuse to experience it this time.

I really hope the weather holds so everyone can spend time out on deck during the fireworks and sailaway.  The forecast currently calls for a mix of sun and showers.  Fingers crossed!

1 comment: