Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday update

The seas got smoother as the day went on Sunday to the point that I went for a jog on deck around 5 pm.  The wind, however, was still very strong, especially on one side of the ship.  It was so strong that my earbuds would not stay in my ears and I had to really lean forward to make any progress.  Still it was nice to get some real exercise.

 Even some staff members told me they found it to be some of the roughest seas they have felt. The better weather improved the mood on the ship, it was obvious to tell in the bars and restaurant.  Speaking of people, I find it to be a much younger crowd than my last time on board.  There are a few families with children, and many more in their 30s and 40s.  There is lots of activity in the bars for pre and post dinner drinks.

From talking to people a couple of days ago, I found that the colour of your key card equates to your level in the Cunard loyalty program.  I had a red striped card which means I am on for the first time.  Gasp! The indignity! I went to the purser's desk and had it rectified.  I now carry a silver card!

I went to two lectures yesterday, the first by a woman who has been a social hostess on Cunard for 35+ years.  She started on the original queen Mary all the way to Queen Mary 2, and many ships in between.  She had many interesting stories to tell, and was quite entertaining.  The second lecture was given by Stephan Payne, the architect of this ship.  He spoke about the Lusitania and Mauritania , two great Cunard liners.  Very interesting talk.  The Lusitania used to consume 900 tones of coal per day.  Compare that to Qm2, at five times the size, consumes about 300 tons of fuel per day. And because it was coal, it would take 6 days to clean it and load it with more coal for a return ride, amazing!

It was the second formal night last night.  It was another great meal and we had commemorative menus we could keep.  Came back to my room to find a hard cover book about the ship as a gift, a very nice touch.


This morning I woke to calmest seas yet.  The wind has died down but still brisk and cold on deck.  I hope many of the closed off sections of the ship will be open today.


No comments:

Post a Comment