Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 5 "Relax"

Up until yesterday, I had breakfast from the buffet.  The food is fine but it's really not the nicest area of the ship.  So yesterday I went to the Britannia dining room, where I have dinner.  Service is great and the food is very good.  I had a nice fritatta and fresh fruit.  The dining room is one of the best rooms in the ship.  It's two stories tall and really tries to capture the style of past ships.  Here is a picture before dinner, the mural is quite impressive.



Decided I was going to just take it easy for the morning.  I got a great seat in the Commodore club which is a bar at the very front of the ship on deck nine.  I got a Perrier and read a good part of a book.  The room started to fill up by 11 am or so.  At noon, the Captain gave his regular update.  We were getting close to the Grand Banks of Newfoundland and at 7:30 pm last night, we would pass over the Titanic, deep below us.  There are no icebergs this far south this trip.

Weather yesterday was changing by the hour.  Lots of fog but occasionally it would clear and we had some magnificent views. It's gotten warmed every day since Wednesday but very very windy. In the afternoon I decided to go for a run/walk out on the deck.  This time, probably due to the wind and fog/mist, it wasn't too crowded so I did more running than walking.  On one side it was windy, misty and the deck was wet.  Going in front of the ship was like a wind tunnel and then the other side was warm, bright, and very little wind.  There were a few people out on the deck chairs sleeping!  Loved the run, especially getting some spray from the sea and the mist of the fog on my face.  I felt great.

Interesting that you see people sleeping all over the ship.  When I was reading my book, I saw more then one head bobbing to the gentle movement of the ship.  It's very relaxing. I think I've slept 10 hours a night too!

A note about the music on board: it's fantastic.  Whether it's in one of the bars, or in a theatre, you will hear all kinds of music and it's very good.  I've gotten into the routine of going the the Chart Room for a drink before dinner and taking in the music.  People are dressed up getting ready for dinner, having a drink and enjoying the music.  With the sun coming in from the windows, it's a great spot to spend an hour.




Dinner last night was again, great.  Two of my table mates didn't make it, don't know why.  Perhaps they went to another restaurant or they may have ordered room service, who knows.  It was very sunny outside so it made for very nice atmosphere, even though our table isn't at a window.

I was a little bit off in my estimation of the various nationalities on board.  The daily program gave the breakdown.

total on board 2474:

UK: 902
Germany: 616
US: 611
Canada: 110
France: 60
Switzerland: 31
Autralia: 30
Austria: 16

Got a ticket to the planetarium show.    The only thing on the agenda that looks interesting is a talk by Chris Difford of Squeeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment