Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 1

Interesting day to say the least. Quick update:

-    Internet charges are very expensive so worked out a process to write everything (emails, blog updates) in a word doc, log on and as quickly as possible cut and paste!

-    Embarkation: I got to the terminal very early, but a porter was there to take my luggage and I didn’t see it again until it was in my room.  Very nice.  They hadn’t opened the check in yet but when they did, everything went quite smoothly.  If I was to do it again, though, I would arrive later, avoid the early crowds and probably just waltz through the boarding.  There was security but wow, they were nice!  Airports could learn a thing.

-    I unpacked and went for some lunch.  There is the main restaurant and the buffet.  I just had a light plate from the buffet.  The salad options were quite nice.

-    I explored the ship a little and then went to the gym for a brief workout before we did the safety drill where they go over the emergency procedures and then show you how to put on your life jacket. Ok, I admit that I felt a little nervous then.   But it was nothing that the small bottle of complimentary champagne in the room couldn’t solve!  Nice touch.

-    There was a sailaway party as left Southampton.  By the way, the weather was spectacular, 20 degrees and sunny.  Could not have asked for better.  Anyway, not really into the party scene, I walked around the top of the ship and took some pictures and videos. 

-    Next stop was the Chart Room, a nice bar mid-ship that had a very nice group of women playing their violins and cello.  A glass of red wine, nice music and the scenery of the English coast passing was very relaxing.

-    I had the late seating at dinner and a table for 6.  There was only 4 of us there, all travelling by ourselves.  A nice mix of people: A Canadian, a young American who is heading home on break from studying distilling (!), a Parisian woman going to visit her boyfriend in the New York and an elderly British woman going to visit her sister in New York. I think the vegetarian meal I had was better than the lamb the others had.  I had a fresh salad followed by the spanikopita  on some tomato coulis.  I was the only one having wine which seemed a little odd.  That might have thrown them off because it arrived late. 

-    Watched the show after which was a singing and dancing bit, very relaxing.  I went back to my room after, set the clock back an hour and went to bed.

Ok, the main question: Could I feel the movement of the ship?  Absolutely!  I was very surprised.  It’s usually quite subtle but when the ship turns, as it did coming out of Southampton, it was very noticeable.  And sleeping, the room creaks a little as it rocks you to sleep!  I must admit that I’m not used to it yet.  I haven’t gotten sick..yet…but it does make me wonder how it would be if the seas were really rough.

Woke up to more smooth seas, temperature of 13.  Went for a walk on deck with a coffee.  Very pleasant but windy. It didn’t keep the joggers inside though.

More to talk about but will save some for another update.  Besides, there is a lecture on rocket science coming up and wouldn’t want to miss that!

1 comment:

  1. The big questions is - who did you portrait at the dinner table:
    1) Secretive Spy
    2) Food Critic
    3) Adventurer
    ......

    Alain

    ReplyDelete