Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Rolling rolling...

I had a few naps on Monday, only one of which was on purpose.  Sitting in the heated ceramic chairs or in a lounge chair on deck, add in the gentle rocking and it is a recipe for dozing  off.  By late afternoon the swells that we were warned about appeared.  The ship was really moving both rolling and pitching.  Everyone was having a tough time walking around the ship.  It continues today Tuesday.  Looking out to sea now it appears calm, no white caps but looking more closely there are huge swells that seem like they could swallow this little ship.  I had a lot of trouble sleeping due to the movement.  I felt like I was rolling off the bed, just like the bottles of water rolled off the counter on one such roll.  My things in the bathroom were also thrown around.

But it is warm, around 27, and the wind is down so it is actually very nice on deck.  I have moved between sun and shade to make sure I don't burn.

This morning was an emergency drill by the crew.  They broadcast all the announcements as they would in an emergency.  I know they need to practice so glad to have them do it.  But it made me wonder why I've never heard crews do this on any other crossing.

The captain just gave his noon update and said the swells peaked at 5 meters and will moderate over the next couple of days.  He is quite hilarious.  He is Scottish and finishes his updates by reading some poetry, usually about the sea. Today it was Robbie burns. 


I was invited to another dinner last night, this time hosted by Kitty the Arts and Crafts instructor.  I kid you not.  She is a recently retired teacher who seems to have found a pretty good way to travel the world, doing painting glasses on high end cruise ships.  (And wouldn't it be better if they called it painting classes instead of arts and crafts?). But kitty was a lot of fun, I will give her that.

No comments:

Post a Comment