Sunday, April 16, 2017

Embarking on Seabourn Odyssey


After a couple hours on the beach I packed up and got a taxi to the port.  The ship is very small by today's standards but is large next to the ship we were docked next to: seadream.  It too is sailing the Atlantic. After seeing it, I can't imagine how confined it would be for 10 days. Wow!


Within 10 minutes I was on board and sitting outside for lunch.  The staff greeted me with a offer for Perrier and or wine.  I took both to which I was offered a selection of wine which is all included. The only other all inclusive line i sailed was crystal 4 years ago.  It makes a huge difference when there is no pressure to sell you drinks.  You might think the service would suffer but quite the opposite.  Service was fantastic which meant drinks were flowing.  As I was unpacking in the afternoon doesn't the stewardess knock offering a glass of champagne....just before I was to crack the bottle that was sitting on ice in my room when I arrived!

It continued through the beautiful sail away from Barbados.  A couple of glasses of wine and I thought I better slow down and drink some water if I want to make it through dinner!  For dinner I was invited to a hosted table where two of the singers hosted 9 guests. Apparently seabourn does this every night and invites a variety of guests.  It could be regulars or those who are travelling solo such as myself. It was a fun dinner.  Besides Ryan and Beth, the two singers, there were two couples from the Uk, a Canadian, German, Dutch and an American travelling solo.  Food was fantastic.  The highlight for me was the homemade porcini ravioli, as good as I could imagine anywhere.


Unfortunately we pushed the clocks forward and hour last night.  As I went to bed the ship was really moving.  My cabin is near the front so that is part of the reason.  But I really didn't think the seas were rough.  The ship is not an ocean liner in any sense so I fear there could be motion for the entire trip,  especially when we hit the low pressure system in a couple of days that the captain warned us about. Could be interesting. 

It's Sunday: Happy Easter !  It was overcast when I got up but the sun is breaking through now.  It's nice and warm and the chairs around the pool are starting to fill up.  Still it doesn't fell crowded.  I think the space to passenger ratio is quite high.  This afternoon there is an Easter egg hunt!





No comments:

Post a Comment