Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Madiera



Yesterday morning, around 8 am, we docked in Funchal, Madiera.  It’s very odd to open the curtains and see lights and buildings after 7 days at sea.  It’s equally odd to try walking on land which I tried to in the morning.  I was sure the island was moving!  Funchal is a very nice town, clean, nice gardens and shops.   

I had a tour leaving at 1215 so came back to the ship to have a bite to eat before getting in the bus.  I probably wouldn’t have considered the bus tour but I had some shipboard credit that I figured I would use.  I chose a tour that would see some different scenic parts of the Island and it was worth it.  It’s a very diverse island, one moment tropical, and the next a forest. It’s also extremely hilly making for some tight fits for our bus.  There are no beaches, except for one very small man-made beach.  So tourism is more of the relaxing or hiking variety.

We stopped at a restaurant in the forest which is a national park.  And had a drink of Poncha, a rum, lemon drink.  Very strong!   

After 5 stops we went back to the ship for sailaway at 5.  I had dinner in Silk Road, the Asian restaurant.  Very good and a nice change of pace.

As a side note, I finished reading Steve Jobs biography the other day.  While I knew some of the story, I didn’t know what a jerk he was.  Really make you wonder if you have to be that way to be successful.  I hope not.

It’s the last day today as we sail to Lisbon.  I dread the packing and the early morning tomorrow but ready to head home. We are now heading north east and doing just 14 knots on two engines.  While there is some movement on the ship, when I look out, we are going so much slower than before it looks like we are hardly moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment