Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 2



I tried to upload some photos but I can’t get it to work for some reason.  And it’s too expensive to try to figure this out so will have to wait until I’m on land again.

Yesterday was a nice warm day.  I spent some time lying outside and manage to get a bit of a sunburn.  The aft of the ship has chairs out on most decks which turn out to be almost like private balconies, sheltered from the wind.  In the afternoon they were a perfect place to relax and lie out.    I don’t think most people know about this area, I hope it stays that way.  But today I won’t be using it.  Woke to thunder and lightning and now heavy rain.  I haven’t experienced that at sea before.  The seas look calmer but the Captain said they are now 6-7 which is slightly rougher than yesterday.  We are currently roughly between Bermuda to the north and Grand Turk to the south.  We are doing just over 20 knots.
This cruise is a big band theme cruise.  I went to a lecture yesterday on the “Battle of the Bands” which was an introductory talk about Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Glenn Miller.  This music was written for dancing, which I never really thought of but makes total sense.  Today’s version of the Glenn Miller band is on this cruise and played last night.  It was a big band, 15 pieces with 2 vocalists.  In general I’m not a big fan but they were great, and there was plenty of dancing.  I have met several people so far that have come on this trip for the dancing.  

Last night was also the first of two “black tie optional” evenings.  Crystal was considered a formal line but this is the first cruise on this ship that has started to change to a slightly less formal dress code.  But clearly people weren’t listening because most people were dressed formally, as did I.  It definitely adds a sense of occasion to the night, especially when you add in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment