Monday, April 1, 2013

Arrival and first day at sea



My flights were on time and I arrived at Miami airport at 12:20.  The priority sticker on my luggage actually worked too and I was off in the taxi in no time.  Just my luck, I thought to myself, the one time everything is on time or early is the time that I can’t board until 2 pm.  But I got to the port and walked straight on the ship.  I was told that the rooms wouldn’t be ready until 3 so that would give me time to have some lunch.   

The plan was to go to the gym after lunch but as I was sitting having some lunch, a fellow came around offering Champagne.  Who was I to refuse?  And the strange thing was that even though I was drinking it,  it didn’t seem to go down!  

Just before 3 I went to my room.  It was ready and my bags were there.  I unpacked and feeling like I really should try to get a work out in, I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the treadmill.  The lunch of Grilled Cheese and champagne did the trick as it was actually a decent workout.  Who knew?

The muster drill was scheduled for 8pm, in between the two sittings for dinner.  While I waited, I wandered around the  ship and out on to the promenade deck where I saw 4 dolphins swimming leisurely  next to the ship!  That was a nice treat.

The muster drill went as scheduled at 8.  We assembled and listened to the thorough instructions for passenger safety.  I found it to be quite well organized despite having it late in the evening after people have been drinking which caused a few more jokes and laughs than you would normally get. From there I joined my table for dinner in the main dining room.  I’m at a table for 8, and there were 7 of us there last night.  Three people have been on for several weeks taking part in some segments of the world cruise.  It was a nice group, though it can be hard to hear everyone at a larger table in a busy restaurant.

Food was excellent I have to say.  One dish was a mushroom tart on a puff pastry crust.  Fantastic.  Nice wine part of the complementary list washed it down nicely.

I was up at 8 this morning and went for breakfast at the lido restaurant.  I went outside to eat and had the place to myself. 

 It’s a nice morning though windy.  The Captain gave his morning update at 9am and said it was 23 degrees out.  He didn’t give a long term forecast but today looks nice.  There are small waves in the 4-6 foot range so there is some motion on the ship though nothing severe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment